Saturday, July 25, 2009

Using Moodle

Well, I have been negligent about this site and I've only posted 4 articles. Let's get back to it. I would like to extol the virtues of the open source class creation tool called Moodle. Most colleges and many high schools are using online class organizers for their students. The University of Missouri St. Louis uses Blackboard CT. Teachers can post important messages, articles, videos, and anything else related to class functioning.

Moodle is an excellent tool for alternative education especially for students who want to work from home. This is important in alternative education because in many instances students are trying to regain lost credits. I already have a music appreciation class set up in Moodle and I am planning to eventually post many of my social studies classes onto Moodle.

Even if you don't have an all inclusive class in Moodle you can use it to post the syllabus and important assignments. I am hoping that posting assignments and various materials I can cut down on my copying. Moreover, when I want to change or update an assignment I can have it posted in minutes without having an excess of copies that are no longer valid.

Here is the link for Moodle if you are interested. http://moodle.org/

2 comments:

  1. "Moodle is an excellent tool for alternative education especially for students who want to work from home."

    Seems like it would be less distraction to be able to work from home as well, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is the main point of the Moodle. For students who have fallen behind time is important and Moodle will allow them to access assignments from home. It is also a great organizing tool for teachers.

    ReplyDelete