Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Back in the Fold

Well, it has been awhile since I have written anything. Not that it matters much since very few people will read this. But in the end, who cares? Thus, the explanation for my absence from the blog, Facebook, and all other Internet pursuits. As George Harrison wrote and sang "It's All Too Much." I was simply overwhelmed by all of the causes, opinions, arguments, rants, etc... that are found in the electronic media.

Should I join group A, get behind cause B, donate to charity C, like music D, back candidate E, live in place F, follow blog G, befriend friend H, and am I green enough? I think I've always been a little apathetic even as a child. I had no problem quitting little league baseball after one year in second grade, opting out for the school flag football team instead of little league tackle football, and quitting wrestling my senior year in high school. On top of this I started to be skeptical of the Catholic Church in first grade. Of course, my father doesn't believe me but it is true. It certainly wasn't the college professors like he thought persuaded me down the path of agnosticism.

In my freshmen year of college I related to the detached individualism of Thoreau. I earned a degree in Sociology to try and understand society. I later earned a degree in history because understanding the past interested me. So, although pursuing knowledge leads to wisdom we can't always put everything into perspective. Enter the modern digital age where information true and false abounds and opinion is taken as truth. Rhetoric is rampant. On top of this people have etched out their digital niches that allow them to filter information so that the information that they peruse fits into their specific worldview. Nothing is what it is because there is a counterpoint or alternate interpretation to almost any event. In many cases this is warranted in others it is pure contrarious thinking.

I have to admit that the time away from the Internet was really liberating and I still question whether it is better to connect or stay disconnected. As a teacher in the digital age I ultimately need to stay connected and embrace the new era. It is fraught with nefarious individuals and groups looking to make a buck by stealing your identity but ultimately it allows ideas to be exchanged at lightning speed.

In the end staying connected both digitally and face to face seems the best way to travel at this point in my life. I am happier if I can remain somewhat detached from causes and movements. If I donate to this cause and not to that cause then so be it. It is what it is. The only thing I will always commit to and advocate for is rational thought. This will no way be the end of my struggles to adjust to the ever changing world but it marks my commitment to push ahead without dropping out and saying "for-ged aboud id." As the fictional George Castanza said, "I'm back baby!"

2 comments:

  1. I see your point. I have made a recent change to only spend time on things that bring happiness to me. If the internet is part of that, or joining a cause is part of that, or vounteering or donating money so be it. If it makes me feel good, I do it. For me, removing Newsweek from my weekly reading has been huge. I can't control what happens in the world, the U.S. or even at the state level. I can however influence local connections which is all I care about lately. Finding like minded people to make positive change with is empowering and the internet has opened a lot of doors. The digital age is a strange thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration Mark. I admire your commitment to your community. You are indeed controlling the environment around you through the work that you do in your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete