Saturday, March 10, 2012

Back Again

I just realized that it has actually been a year since I stated that I was going to balance my digital reality with my non digital reality. I guess I fell off the wagon. I am once again vowing to develop a routine that will allow me to enjoy both realities. Thus, I have decided to add my hobbies into my professional persona as an alternative school teacher. After all these are the pursuits that make me who I am.
My favorite hobby by far is songwriting. In the last 10 years I have dabbled with writing children's educational songs. One of  the divisions that I thought existed between the children's educational music that I was creating and my job as a teacher was the fact that I worked with high school age students who work individually on a computer based curriculum. However, as I started to create a music appreciation class for my school I realized that the art of writing songs can be introduced to the class that I was creating.
It turns out I found some great ideas about music appreciation class on a blog. The writer of this blog was attending the University of Illinois pursuing a master's of music degree. The drummer of my second hobby, playing in a rock band, is also attending U of I pursuing a doctorate in music. It turns out they know each other.
The digital world merged with my non digital world. So there it is.
I am hoping to use the digital medium to create music and write without worrying about perfection and or making some sort of profit. I learned that as a teacher I should be sharing my ideas so that we can all learn together which inevitably will make us better people. I hope it is enjoyed by someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment